Listen Weekly 08: Midday
This week’s Midday playlist encourages you to switch off for an hour: it’s time to enter a calm and tranquil space…
Our current playlist themes coincide with the different times of day that are reflected across the four covers, illustrated by Charlotte Taylor, of our new Nest Issue: morning, midday, afternoon and evening.
Commencing last week with our Morning playlist, this week we find ourselves in the middle of the day, a time that we believe should instil calmness. It’s a time to be with your own thoughts, to close your eyes, to recharge and nourish – setting yourself up for the rest of the day with a clear head and positive step.
With this approach reflected in our playlist, we share with you some of our favourite instrumental pieces of music, from sublime classical to latin-infused jazz, through to some carefully chosen songs to connect you with the time of day.
We hope it works for you all.
01. Arvö Part, Sally Maer, Sally Whitwell – ‘Spiegel im Spiegel’ (Mirror in the Mirror)
02. Jan Garbarek, Cristobal de Morales, The Hilliard Ensemble – ‘Parce Mihi Domine – Var.1’
03. William Walton, Philharmonia Orchestra – ‘Henry V – Suite (arr.Mathieson): IV. Touch Her Soft Lips and Part’
04. Penguin Cafe Orchestra – ‘Hugebaby’
05. Erik Satie, Alexandre Tharaud – ‘Première Gymnopédie’
06. Ronald Binge, Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra, Ernest Tomlinson – ‘Sailing By’
07. Nigel Kennedy, Paul Barritt, English Chamber Orchestra – ‘Kennedy: Melody In The Wind’
08. Andrew York – ‘Andecy’
09. The Dave Brubeck Quartet – ‘Strange Meadow Lark’
10. Stan Getz, Luiz Bonfa, Marie Toldeo – ‘Sambalero’
11. Dorothy Ashby – ‘Little Sunflower’
12. Gil Scott-Heron – ‘The Middle Of The Day’
13. Gary Marks – ‘Sailing’
14. Terry Callier – ‘Ho Tsing Mee (A Song Of The Sun)’
15. John Cale – ‘Buffalo Ballet’